Edible Seaweed: Benefits, Types and Uses
What are the health benefits of eating seaweed?
Did you know that seaweed is one of the most nutrient-rich plants in the world? Seaweed is a type of algae that grows in salt water. It is an wonderful source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Seaweed has been used for centuries as a food and medicine.
Here are some of the health benefits of eating seaweed:
- Seaweed is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- Seaweed is high in antioxidants, which help protect your body from free radicals and oxidative damage.
- Seaweed is an excellent source of fibre, which can help keep your digestive system healthy.
- Seaweed contains anti-inflammatory compounds that can help relieve inflammation throughout the body.
What Is Wakame Seaweed?
Wakame seaweed is a type of seaweed that is often used in Japanese cuisine. It has a mild flavour and a slightly chewy texture. Wakame can be eaten raw or cooked. When cooked, it takes on a slightly gelatinous texture. Wakame is high in iodine and other minerals, making it a healthy addition to your diet.
What is Nori Seaweed?
Nori is a type of seaweed that is commonly used in sushi. It has a slightly salty taste and a chewy texture. Nori is high in vitamins and minerals, and it is an excellent source of protein. It is also an excellent source of iodine, which is necessary for thyroid health.
How do I store Wakame Seaweed?
When purchasing fresh wakame seaweed, it's important to store it properly to maximise its shelf life and ensure that it remains in good condition. Wakame can be stored in a refrigerator for up to one week. It's best to place the seaweed in a sealable bag or container and store it in the coldest part of the fridge. If you're not going to use the seaweed within a week, you can freeze it. Just place the wakame in a freezer-safe bag or container and put it in the freezer. It will stay fresh for up to six months.
Wakame Seaweed Soup Recipe
This simple soup is easy to make and can be served as a starter or main course.
- In a large pot, bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of wakame seaweed and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Where to Buy Wakame?
When looking for wakame seaweed, the best place to start is by checking the supermarket. Wakame is a common ingredient in Japanese cuisine and can be found in most Asian markets. If there's not a store near you that carries it, you can also buy online. Just be sure to read the ingredients list carefully to make sure you're getting the real deal. Some brands sell wakame flakes or powder that may not have the same nutritional value as the fresh stuff.